Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stockholm, Sweden- March 2011

Unbeknown to us Stockholm is still freezing in late March (quite literally). Shortly after finding out this information via our friends at Google, Nadia's desire to explore another part of Scandinavia waned. By 3 days Nadia decided that she did not want to go so I would be left to explore without her and would be the 3rd wheel with our Friends James & Peta. Shortly after this decision she promptly downgraded my accommodation sending me to bunk with randoms in a 4 bed hostel! (I would however have the last laugh- more on this later).

Above- One of the many harbours within Stockholm.
Above & below- I didn't think salt water could freeze, how I wrong I was..
Above- Hutchy and Peta, my travel companions for the weekend.



Above- The Vasa. A 300 year old ship that they managed to dredge up from the mud at the bottom of the harbour. The patient Swedes took over 10 years to restore it and now its on show for all to view. The ill fated Vasa didn't do to well even at the peak of its powers sailing for less than a nautical mile before sinking because someone hadn't done the maths properly on the weight balancing.



Above- Hutchy and I lap up some Scandinavian sunshine.

Above- The frozen harbour!



No commentary on this picture, but now feels like an apt time to explain the sleeping arrangements in Stockholm. Having been ditched by Nadia and downgraded to sharing a hostel (I missed the chance to cancel the booking by less than a couple of hours) I faced 1 night with a room with 3 randoms and then I was going to high tail it out of there and stay at Hutchy and Petas hotel. Having picked up my sheets and making my bed earlier I returned to the room later in the day to find the smallest men's shoes in the world on the floor.... then I saw a bra on the other bed! I deduced that I had been put into a room with 3 girls, so I texted Nadia for some advice!... there was then a knock on the door and in strolls 3 Swedish ladies. Expecting screams and 'what are you doing in my room!' I was instead greeted with polite introductions and an offer for some drinks and to a party later. I promptly apologised and explained that my wife had booked the room and there must have been some sort of mix up to which they replied 'no this is what we do in Sweden'! C'est la vie, Karma manifests itself in so many ways.


Above- shots from the boat cruise we went on around the harbour. We didn't stay outside long, it is possibly the coldest I have been in my life.



The palace with its Royal guards.






No comments: